Monday, May 3, 2010

Greek Zucchini Fritters (Kolokithokeftedes)


I love Meze....
I love to eat and try different dishes at the same time, and for that reason, they shouldn’t be big. Meze, as I know it, is a collection of small dishes usually served with wine or anise-flavoured liquors. It is comparable to Tapas in Spain. Meze is served in Arabic, Eastern Mediterranean, and Caucasus region countries. I like ALL Meze, but one that I like the most is kolokithokeftedes.
Kolokithokeftedes is a Greek zucchini fritters that is mouth-watering. It is incredible how zucchini, through the combination of the right ingredients, turns out to be a tasty and appetizing dish. I can assure you that once you start eating, you cannot stop it. Here goes my recipe.
3 medium to large zucchini coarsely grated
5 green onions chopped (including green stem)
1 small garlic clove minced
4 tablespoons of mix herbs. I use a mix of mint, parsley and oregano.
½ cup of crumbled feta cheese
1 egg
Flour
Fresh ground pepper
Olive oil

Wash zucchini and grate them coarse. You can use a grater or food processor. Add salt to the zucchini, mix it, and place it in a colander. Let it drain for 20 minutes.
Squeeze the zucchini firmly with your hands to remove its liquid. Put it in a large bowl, and with a fork mix it with herbs, green onions, garlic, and feta cheese. Add the egg, and then the flours. The mixture has to be wet, but not watery. Add sea salt and pepper to your taste.
Heat olive oil in a frying pan. I use 2 centimetres deep of olive oil. When the oil is hot, use a spoon to place the zucchini mixture in the pan. Cook until golden brown, and turn it into the other side. When the fritters are golden brown in both sides, remove the fritters and place them on a paper towel to remove the excess of the olive oil. You can eat it as it is, or with tzatziki sauce. Personally, I like them without sauce, to taste its great flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment