Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Lentil and Swiss Chard Soup (Adas Bis Silq from Jordan)

I love lentils...I love all grains, in all forms, shapes, colors and textures. Even when I was little, I could not decide whether to eat raviolis or lentils. For me, lentils are intense in flavor, tasty and succulent, and now that I know about their nutritional value and health benefits, we are eating valuing this marvelous grain.

I ate this soup in Jordan, and it was divine. I hope you will enjoy this humble, but tasty lentil soup.

2 cups dried brown lentils
10-12 swiss chard leaves
1/4 cup olive oil
5 tablespoons fresch cilantro (chopped)
1 big onion (chopped)
lemon juice
lemon wedges
Sea salt
Pepper
Pita bread

Rinse lentils, and cook them until they are tender (30-40 minutes).  In a saucepan, warm olive oil in a medium-low heat, then add the chopped onion and cook it. Wash swiss chard, eliminate the stems, and chop the leaves (do not chop them fine). Once the onion is cooked (translucent), add the garlic and swiss chard. Cook them for no more than 3 minutes. Do not overcook.
Once the lentils are cooked, add the onion, garlic and swiss chard to the lentils along with cilantro, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Simmer for 5 more minutes. Serve the soup and drip with olive oil. Decorate it with lemon widges, and eat it with pita bread.  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment