Saturday, May 8, 2010

Moroccan Orange Rice Pudding....and Happy Mother's day!


I like North Africa....
It is a magic place with a living culture. I know every country has its own enchantment, but I feel very connected and in peace in desert areas. Probably, it was that beautiful desert that makes me feel happy when I think about Morocco.
I ate this dessert in Morocco. I don't know whether it is a truly Moroccan dish, but when I make it, I feel that I am there. I think it is the orange aroma and the sweetness of this dish that makes me remember that beautiful trip in Morocco.....

Here goes my recipe:
1/2 cup short grain pudding rice
3 cups of milk
1/2 small orange zest (finely grated)
3 tablespoon of honey
1 cup of cream or natural yogurt (I prefer Balkan style yogurt)
1 teaspoon of orange blossom water
Pistachios for garnishing it
Candied orange fruit to enhance the flavor (chopped in small pieces)

Mix the rice, milk, honey and orange rind in a saucepan. Bring it to boil, and then simmer it very gently until cooked. It will depend on the rice type, but usually is about 40 minutes. Stir it frequently until the rice is very creamy. Once the rice is cooked, add the orange blossom water and the yogurt. Stir it well. Add the candied orange fruit, stir it and serve it cold. You can garnish it with both pistachios and candied orange fruit. Enjoy!!

Happy Mother's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment