Monday, August 30, 2010

Nutty Pasta with Herbs ......more delicious than expected!!


I am not really a fan of cooking TV programs  because either I don't have time to watch them or  they are not appealing to me. However, since I saw a Nutty Pasta recipe in the TV program of Laura Calder, I decided that I must try this recipe. What I found appealing on this recipe? I think it was the mix of almonds, pine nuts and pistachio. Nevertheless, the ingredient that captivated my attention was the mint. 

I'm using mint more and more in salty dishes. I use it with chick peas, rice and other grains.....But, With pasta?  no idea how it would taste.

I follow exactly Laura Calder's recipe, but I made my own fresh pasta. However, I thought that something was missing and something was extra for my taste. Therefore, I added garlic, and took out the orange zest. For that reason, I made it two ways: her way and my way (with garlic and without orange zest). Which one do I prefer the best?.....With garlic....of course!!

Here goes the recipe (Nutty Pasta from Laura Calder):

  • 60 grams of almonds
  • 60 grams of pine nuts
  • 60 grams of pistachios
  • 1 bunch parsley leaves
  • 1 bunch mint leaves
  • 370 grams of spaghetti
  • 1 sprinkle Olive oil
  • Parmesan cheese, for grating
  • Orange zest (optional)
  • 1 Garlic
  • Water from the cooking pasta
Cook the pasta in boiling water. Put the nuts and herbs in a food processor, and chop them. Add a little of cooking pasta water if needed. Add garlic and salt. This mix should have texture, and not need to be completely smooth.

Mix of herbs and nuts


Sauce with texture


Drain the pasta and reserve some cooking water. I add cooking water to the sauce because it was too dense. Toss the pasta in a bowl, and add olive oil. Add the nuts and herbs sauce, mix it and serve with Parmesan cheese on top.



 Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment