Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Dry Figs Recipes.....I Hope You Like Them....

Dry figs with Ricotta and Almonds in Phyllo Dough

Long time ago, in a friend's home, I tried this pastry......and I felt in love with it!!.....It was creamy, yummy, tasty, and even make me forget that I was eating a tart with dry figs. I have not make it this recipe in a long time, and I wanted to remember its taste.....

Nevertheless, as many of you, I cook when I can......and sometimes that means late at night. Therefore, when I think I am ready with all the ingredients, Murphy's law is always present to tell me that something is not in place. I had everything, including my desire to make and eat it, when I notice that I did not have whipping cream (and it was after 9pm....no time to go to the supermarket again  :(....). Therefore, I had to make my own version with my own "thick cream".......Here is the recipe (and how I transformed it):

1 package of frozen puff pastry
300 grams of dried figs  (I use less, and you will see how much will use according to the size of your oven dish)
2 cups of cream (10%) (I had to make 2 cups of milk with 2 spoons of corn starch to make a "thick cream")
3 eggs
1/2 cup sliced almonds
40 grams sugar (I used brown sugar, you can use more or less depending on your taste)
1 teaspoon of each anise, and cardamom crushed seeds
Seeds of 1/2 vanilla beans
Brown sugar to sprinkle

In a bowl, cover the figs with boiling water. Set aside and drain them when they are re-hydrated. Cut the stems, and slice them. Set aside.

Original recipe: Place the whipping cream in a pot with the crushed anise and cardamom seeds. Let it simmer at low heat for 7 minutes. Strain the cream, and discard the seeds. Mix with the sugar and vanilla beans, and taste for sweetens. Set aside.

My version: Mix the milk with two spoons of corn starch. Heat it until starts to get thick. Set aside for cooling (I put it in the freezer to speed up the process). Place this cold cream in a pot with the crushed anise and cardamom seeds. Let it simmer at low heat for 7 minutes. Strain the cream, and discard the seeds. Mix with the sugar and vanilla beans, and taste for sweetnes. Set aside.

Cook the puff pastry in an oven proof dish according to the instructions, until is half way cooked. Take it out from the oven.

Mix the eggs with the cold cream. Add the slice almonds, and stir it. Place this mix over the puff pastry that is half-way cooked. Decorate with the figs at your desire. Place it in a pre heated oven at 370F for 25 minutes, or until is fully cooked (stick test). When is almost ready, sprinkle with brown sugar and use the broiler for two minutes. Let it cool and enjoy!! 
My "thick cream"

Steps.....

Do you want a piece?


I love pastries from the Middle-East.....the mix of honey, nuts and honey is very appealing to me. Before making this pastry, I made Spinakopitas; therefore, I had some phyllo pastry sheets leftovers that I used to create this pastry. I'm very happy with the result. We ate it for breakfast, and with coffee. 

220 grams of ricotta
2 tablespoons of corn starch
1 egg
1/2 cup of slice almonds
7 dried figs
35 grams of sugar (more or less depending on your taste)
10 phyllo dough sheets
Melted butter and olive oil to brush the phyllo dough
Honey

In a bowl, cover the figs with boiling water. Set aside and drain them when they are re-hydrated. Cut the stems, and slice or chopp them. Set aside.

Mix the ricotta with the corn starch. Here the ricotta is very watery; therefore, I used the corn starch to dry it before I put it into the oven. thus, it will not run out. If you use a dry ricotta, then you probably would not need the corn starch.

Add the sugar, and taste for sweetness. Then, add the egg and almonds to the ricotta mix. Add the fig pieces, and stir it.

Take one phyllo sheet, brush it with a mix of melted butter and olive oil, and fold it in half (in the longest side). You will have a long rectangle. Put the phyllo dough rectangle in front of you. Place a full spoon of the figs and ricotta mix (more or less depending on you), at the beginning of the rectangle, but in the middle, leaving 1/3 of each border free of the mix. Fold in the sides to the centre along the rectangle. Then, roll up the filling in the phyllo dough in a cigars shape. Brush it with a mix of melted butter and olive oil. Put in a pre-heated oven at 375 F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let it cool, and put honey on top.....Enjoy it!!
Ricotta and Figs in Phyllo Dough in Cigars Shape


For you to see the filling.....

11 comments:

  1. Siiiiiiiiiii, me encantan, me encantan y me encantan!!. Como me gustan los higos, cielo. Si es que los estaría comiendo todo el año si los hubiera. Esta receta me la llevo y me la guardo como oro en paño para la temporada siguiente, tengo que probarla se ve deliciosaaaaaaaa. De rodas formas miraré por si queda algún higo por ahi, que si es asi, me la hago ya mismo jajajaja.
    Un besito

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veo que tu delirium tremens particular con los higos sigue....Fantastico, nada mejor que descubrir maravillosas recetas como estas.. con improvisaciones incluidas!!
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merchi....Que alegria!!....con las delicias que tu haces me dices te gustan me siento contentisima!!.....Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  4. StHilari....mi delirium tremens nunca se acabara....tengo problemas con mas de un ingrediente......jijiji.....pero ya es hora de que en el proximo post cambie el tema.....que bueno te gustaron!!.....Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  5. diossss cuanto has tardado...ya no creo que encuentre higos...pero como los encuentre esta cae yaaa!!! deliciosa.
    Bexinos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fely....estas recetas son con higos secos....las puedes hacer en cualquier momento!!......Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  7. me han encantado estas recetas con higos, en casa nos gustan mucho y como me descuide mi marido se los zampa todos y ya no puedo hacer nada, je-je, besotes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buenisimas!!! Me las copio para estas proximas Fiestas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maria....aca tambien tengo que cuidar los higos....si hasta tengo que hacer calculos cuando los compro...jijiji....Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teresa....pues llevate las recetas que quieras!!....para eso estan....para compartirlas!!.....Abrazotes, Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me ha encantado esta receta

    es un lujo ver las fotos del paso a paso

    la presentación es muy bonita, seguro que está exquisto, sin duda!

    :)
    enhorabuena y saludos

    ReplyDelete