Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes ......and Seattle!


Seattle is one of the cities that I like the best in the USA. Is a city that I know very well, since I lived in Vancouver (BC), we went for long weekends when we had the opportunity to visit it......they were trips to breathe!!......The city is still charming, although you can feel the economic crisis....


Even though, I don't like the food in North America (sorry my Canadian and American friends!), I love the markets in American cities. Pike market in Seattle is very small, but full of flavors and colors to discover.....

 This market is delightful....Tulips, seafood, and new vegetables for me.....purple artichokes and purple asparagus......they look yummy!!.....


As I mentioned, we rarely prepare North American food. Peanut butter, macaroni and cheese, popcorn, and cereals are not part of our diet. I remember that when my doctor asked me to introduce our daughter to peanut butter, I said that she would never eat that.....I change peanut butter for olive oil.....and now she eats everything.....specially spinach!


The only "American" food that I prepare (sometimes) is Ricotta Pancakes for breakfast on weekends. I have adapted the recipe from epicurious....here is the recipe:


Lemon Ricotta Pancakes



3 large eggs, separated
1 1/3 cups ricotta
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon or orange zest
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
Olive oil for brushing the griddle

In a bowl, beat the egg whites (with salt) until it has stiff peaks. In another bowl, mix the egg yolks, ricotta, sugar, flour, and the zest. Carefully, incorporate the egg white avoiding losing the air.

Heat a pan, and brush it with olive oil. Pour the batter onto the griddle (approximately 1/4-cup), and cook the pancakes on each side for about 2 minutes. Transfer the pancakes and serve with berries and honey (the original recipe has sautéed apples and the maple syrup)......ENJOY!!


This is an old picture from last year.....it was taken in the winter.....but these pancakes are yummy!

2 comments:

  1. Hola: Algo pasa con los comentarios porque aqui ya te hice uno ayer.
    Repito: vaya colorido que has recogido, ¡me encanta!
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOla Marce! No sé por qué no había visto este post y otros tuyos. En realidad he estado teniendo problemas tanto con internet como con blogger, pero bueno, es el precio de vivir en el campo. Ni me quejo!! Me encantó este receta con la ricotta, que baja la harina al mínimo, lo cual para mi es estupendo. De acuerdo contigo, la comida de Norte América tampoco me gusta mucho, muy pesada y le falta frescura. Un besito

    ReplyDelete