Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Dry Green Peas with Carrots and Rice.....delicious and simple!


I love legumes, I really do!!....One of my favorite legumes are dry green peas, and it is very difficult for me to find it here. I was almost 11 years without eating them, when suddenly....a month ago I found them....I was so happy to be able to eat it again!!

Dry Green Peas with Carrots and Rice

2 cups of dry green peas
3 carrots (grated)
1/2 cup of rice
Salt
Pimenton de la Vera
Chili powder
1 onion (chopped)
Olive oil

Clean the green peas, and soak it overnight. The day after, wash them and cook it in 4 cups of water until they are tender (40 minutes in my case).

Take the green peas out of the water, but do not discard the water. In the same water, cook the rice until tender (about 20 minutes). You will see that the water also has diminished.

In a pot, fry the onion with olive oil until is translucent. Add the carrots. Season it with salt and Pimenton de la Vera. Slowly, add the cooked dry green peas. Incorporate the rice, and taste it for salt, Pimenton de la Vera, and chili powder. Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Serve it on top with a sausage or a wiener  In my case, I use vegetarian sausage. ENJOY!!












No comments:

Post a Comment